Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Southern "Spaghetti": Squash that is, with a rich and hearty tomato sauce


Most of my childhood I spend detesting squash, until my aunt tricked me. She fixed what I thought was spaghetti. but it turned out to be squash! My aunt made a delicious, yummy in your tummy spaghetti squash with a rich and hearty tomato sauce. This is one of my favorite childhood Southern comfort foods and a great way to get my grandson to eat squash ya'll.

Spaghetti squash is generally available year-round, but the best time to find it is early fall through winter.

While cooking squash, prepare sauce.

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash (make sure you buy a hard fruit, no soft spots or discolorations)

2 medium zucchini
1-2 pounds Roma tomatoes
1 bunch oregano-fresh
2 garlic cloves
1 -2 bunches Italian parsley(flat-leaf parsley)
Fresh Parmesan cheese
Olive oil

Directions:
Pierce squash several times with knife. Bring to boil on pot large enough about 20-30 minutes. Test for doneness with fork. Let cool about 5 minutes, cut lengthwise, remove seeds(reserve and freeze), separate strands with fork, place in bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil, toss gently.

For sauce:
Rinse zucchini, don't peel. Chop into medium pieces, sauté in 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 chopped garlic clove until tender. Rinse tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise, place in pot with 1 clove smashed garlic, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon parsley and 1 tablespoon oregano. Simmer about 20-20 minutes until mixture cooks down, add zucchini, simmer about 3 minutes.


Serve sauce over spaghetti squash, top with grated Parmesan and garnish  with a sprig of Italian parsley.

This yummy in your tummy dish can be served with a hunk of Italian bread drizzled with a smidgen of  olive oil or garlic bread.

Serve non-alcoholic sangria to compliment your dish. Eat up ya'll!

This post is part of


Country Momma Cooks

SixSistersStuff.com
Addicted to Recipes Button, Page button

BWS tips button
MyMeatlessMondays
 Ms. enPlace
http://www.asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com/
Mixitup

Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays
Photobucket
Mrs Happy Homemaker

Lil\'Luna


Newlyweds Recipe Linky

cookingthursday
BWS tips button
Whipperberry

No Ordinary Blog Hop
<
 A Humble Bumble

15 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

I love spaghetti squash! I've never put a sauce on it though...just olive oil and Parmesan! This sounds wonderful!

Nicole {WonkyWonderful} said...

I have used spaghetti squash as a substitute for noodles, but I have always baked mine (which takes forever). I'll have to try boiling it next time - Thanks for the tip!

Ashish Negi said...

That recipe sure does sound amazing. Would love it if you link it to Piquant Potluck!

MM said...

Eat up indeed! I love that this recipe uses so much fresh produce...like zucchini in the sauce. Could hurt myself on this one!

Thank you for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo. It's great to have you join in!

Winnie said...

I have to try this. I haven't eaten spaghetti squash for a long time, and I DO like your sauce

Slice of Southern said...

I've always wanted to try this! Great recipe. thanks for sharing on Southern Sundays.

Six Sisters said...

We love spaghetti squash! Your sauce sounds delicious! We are so glad that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". Please come back again really soon! Thanks! -The Sisters

Sandra said...

I love spaghetti squash....this sounds amazing :) Thank you for linking up with my Cooking Thursday :)

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

What a delicious and nutritious way to 'disguise' squash! Your dish sounds wonderful!

Chaya said...

Spaghetti Squash is such a joy. Love how you made it. Thanks for sharing it with My Meatless Mondays and the Recipe Box.

Diane Balch said...

I love the sauce for the squash.. what a healthy delicious meal. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

Kaylee said...

We love spaghetti squash! Thanks so much for sharing at Mealtime Monday! Can't wait to see what you link up this week!

Kaylee
www.couponingncooking.com

Kim said...

This sounds great! I love spaghetti squash. I usually just cut mine in half and roast it in the oven. The sauce sounds heavenly. Thanks for the recipe, and sharing it at NOBH!

Anonymous said...

nice posting. thanks for sharing

Becca Acker said...

Thanks so much for linking up at Healthy Tuesday. This definitely sounds like a healthy substitute for noodles!

Post a Comment

Thank's for stopping by.Y'all come back!