Thursday, June 13, 2013

Greek Chicken Liver Pie

An oldie, but a goodie!


Welcome to the ya'll to the grand opening of Granny's Down Home Southern Cooking!

I hope ya'll enjoy my first mouth watering, yummy in your tummy recipe.

One thing we love to eat in the South ya'll is chicken livers. I love mine fried, but my grandson loves to fish with them ya'll!

I created this recipe because I do love my fried chicken livers, green onions and feta cheese.

This recipe is simple and calls for only a few ingredients. It's easy to fix and yummy in your tummy too!

For this recipe use a 9 x 13 baking dish.

Ingredients:
  • 1 can Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
  • 1 container Chicken livers
  • 1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
  • 1 scallion or green onion
  • 1/2 cup fresh spinach
  • olive oil
  • 1 small container feta cheese
  • tomato basil seasoning
  • 1 garlic clove

Is your mouth watering yet? I sure hope so ya'll...

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Drain chicken livers(you can rinse them off), coat with tomato basil seasoning. Add 4 tablespoons olive oil and chopped garlic clove to skillet and sauté chicken livers until done. Remove from skillet, do not drain. Place in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and set in refrigerator until chilled(about 5 minutes) Chop chilled chicken livers into bite size pieces.
  • Next, tear the spinach from stems, discard stems.
  • Chop scallion or green onion into small pieces(use all of the scallion or green onion.)
  • Mix vegetables together and sauté in 2 tbsp. olive oil until spinach is wilted. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon.
  • Add half of feta cheese to chopped chicken livers, mix throughly.
  • Toss sautéed vegetables into liver mixture.
  • Lightly coat baking pan with olive oil and tomato basil seasoning, place liver mixture evenly into baking pan.
  • Remove crescent dough from can, roll rectangles into thin sheets.
  • Place enough pieces of dough to cover mixture. Lightly coat dough with olive oil-tomato basil seasoning. Bake 15 minutes,or until crust is golden brown, remove from oven, sprinkle remaining feta cheese on top and place under broiler until cheese melts.

Greek Dipping Sauce for Pita 
  • 8 oz. Greek yogurt-strained
  • 1 tablespoon tomato basil seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
  • Whisk together, serve chilled.

Serves 6-8
In the South we don't count calories ya'll, so dig in and enjoy! Serve with pita bread or pita chips for a tasty Mediterranean treat with a little touch of the South thrown in.

This recipe was shared over at


Wednesday's Recipe Box Linky










14 comments:

Sela Toki said...

It sure is mouth-watering. Can't wait to get all the ingredients together to cook it. I don't count the calories when it comes to Fried Chicken!

Shauna Moreno said...

stopping by from Mom Bloggers Club! Your blog looks yummy!!
http://happychaos4life.blogspot.com/

momto8blog said...

everything sounds good except the container of chicken livers!!!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

Empowered Momma J said...

Found you at MBC. Looking forward to more recipes. www.theempoweredmomma.com

gloria mckellar said...

Great recipes! I'm following you and hope you will please follow me too:)

http://kngmckellar-glorias.blogspot.com/

Esmeralda said...

Hello,Looking fwd to your recipes. New follower hopping from BSN,
Esmeralda @ www.sciencesosexy.com

Chaya Selig said...

This is a fantastic idea. We rarely eat chicken livers but we like them so why not incorporate them in such a good recipe. If you have a moment, would you link this to the Recipe Box?
http://bizzybakesb.blogspot.com/2012/06/recipe-box-week-2.html

Mary said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. Your first recipes are both terrific. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Dana @ Simply You and Me said...

Well this would be wonderful if I liked Chicken Livers. LOL! Great recipe, tho

I nominated your cute blog for The Versatile Blogger Award. To view: http://tinyurl.com/8yg4c6f

Tiffany @ DontWastetheCrumbs said...

As a fellow southerner, growing up we'd use chicken livers as bait for fishing. If I could get past the mental block of eating fish bait, I'd try this. :)

Looking forward to seeing your future recipes, and welcome to Blogland!

Words Of Deliciousness said...

Great first recipe. I love the chicken gizzards.

Liz Berg said...

I love chicken livers in pate, so why not? I bet I'd love these, too!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your recipe has me intrigued. It really sounds interesting. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog. I hope you'll become a regular visitor. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Christal Lyn said...

This sounds so good! My grandma always use to make chicken liver and onions and she definitely would have loved this recipe :) -Your Fellow Alabamian ♥

Post a Comment

Thank's for stopping by.Y'all come back!